Thursday, May 7, 2009

Horses, Horses, Horses!


Here's a 2007 photo of my horse, MacKenzie, at RJ and Jane Smith's training facility in Clio, Michigan.


I was born loving horses and the happiest times of my life have been spent with my horses and horse-loving friends. I bought my first horse while in college at Michigan State University, where I was a member of the Block & Bridle, and Rodeo clubs. I spent a few years in Cody, Wyoming, and Helena, Montana, where I rode in the mountains, worked as a race track groom and ponied race horses. I also spent some time with friends in South Dakota, herding cattle. In more recent years, I have learned some dressage basics and have spent a lot of time trail riding.


My newest horse, MacKenzie, is a PMU from Manitoba, Canada. Born in 2004, he is mostly draft and a personable youngster. RJ and Jane Smith have had him off and on since 2005 for some "summer school activities," but he's now ready for some more serious education.


I have the privilege of working in Publications and Media Relations at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University. I enjoy writing basic horse health articles with Dr. Judy Marteniuk, equine extension veterinarian at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. I also arrange equine health lectures for the public at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. You can view our articles and power point presentations at cvm.msu.edu and click on "Animal Health Information."


No comments:

Post a Comment