Friday, May 15, 2009

Learning to Needle Felt

Below are some of the needle felted wall hangings I've made over the years.

Santa Claus is coming to Smoke Rise Farm
28" x 32"
Commissioned piece, in private collection in Georgia


Santa on a Purple Night
10 x 16"
In a private collection in Pittsburgh, PA




Detail of a Santa with beautiful Border Leicester locks




Christmas is Here!
8 x 14"
2007



I attended the Michigan Fiber Festival in 1997 and 1998, mostly to learn about sheep and goats, since I had started working at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University in publications and media relations in 1996. I spent a lot of time visiting with the animal owners and learning about their animals.


In 1998 I took a little time to walk into the 4-H Building that was filled with fiber and fiber artists, and that few minutes changed the course of my life. I was in awe of the beautiful colors, textures, spinning wheels, and everything else that makes up the world of fiber. I came across the "Sheep Farm" booth, and met Suzanne VanNatter of Dexter, MI. She not only had roving and yarns for sale, but she had created something I'd never seen before: needle felted Christmas holiday wall hangings. I was estatic and wanted to learn more!

I joined the guild that Suzanne belonged to, the Spinners Flock, which meets in Chelsea, MI. Suzanne and I have become good friends and what fun I've had with fiber and needle felting!



No comments:

Post a Comment